Topic: Bribes
View Single Post
July 18th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We personally don't bribe the kids with anything. I found out years ago with my older kids that what seems like an innocent bribe (I'll give you 5 chocolate chips if you will hold still while I change you) can turn into something much, much worse, like your now 5 year old demanding half the bag of chips before doing anything. It can also lead to negotiations on all kinds of things, and for me, negotiating with the kids all the time is just not going to happen. I am their parent and there are rules to follow, even at 2 years old.

There are some things in our house that are open for discussion, like 5 more minutes of reading before lights out or just one more slide down the slide. There are other things that are just not - diaper changes, buckling (and staying buckled) in the car, after that 5 extra minutes the lights are really out... What seems funny and cute when they are 2 or 3 can quickly become a hard, hard habit to break when they are older.

Edit to add: We also do things like "well timed snacks". Like at the park when she doesn't want to stop sliding, I can say "here, let's sit on this bench and have a nice snack", it gets her away from the slide, into a different activity and eases the transition to walking home. But I don't make it all about if you get off the slide you can have a snack that way... I guess it's a fine line between flat out bribe and well timed intervention. :shrug:

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.

Last edited by who_it_is; July 18th, 2012 at 10:36 AM.