View Single Post
July 24th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran
I'm using Beyond this year for my 6yo. I did a little (about a third) of Little Hearts last year and do wish I'd stuck with it but at the time I wasn't sure how to make it work with my child who was already placing into Beyond for core skills but wasn't yet in the age range for it. It was really a better fit for this year anyway because he definitely wasn't ready for Bigger (far more formal, seated work that he's use to). DS enjoyed many parts of Little Hearts but he also liked that it made for a short school day and left him plenty of time to pursue his own interests.

The science is very gentle early on. DS enjoys the little activities scheduled for science and I don't add a science curriculum but he does have a lot of books and other resources for pursuing his own scientific interests. I don't use the scheduled math either but I do at times still do the math activities.

The denominational bent is protestant. You'll also find the authors hold to young earth creationism.

The history in Little Hearts and Beyond isn't exactly how I think I would choose to do it but I do really like the look of the years ahead so I'm content to stick with even these younger guides (I have more little ones who will do Little Hearts eventually) because the gentle start works with my present and long term goals (we do several foreign languages and those, more than history, are my focus at this age). I have tried Little Hands two times and it just didn't pan out for me. I've decided I'm just the sort to be very informal about preschool.

We're on our third week this week and DS is enjoying it very much. I hope it works out well for you and your family.