View Single Post
July 30th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
I feel like a totally ignorant FTM here, but can somebody explain how this whole process works? Do you call up your chosen pediatrician and say "Hey, I'm pregnant, will you be my kid's doctor?" How soon after birth do you take the baby to get checked up? How does it work with insurance for those early appointments? I don't know if this is how all insurances work, but we can't add somebody until we have a SSN, which you don't get as soon as the baby is born. I'm just so confused.
If you ask your OB, I'm sure they can help you out with some suggestions to pedis. Insurance will back track, or should, prior to baby getting a SSN. Just call and say that you're due in December and looking for a pediatrician and ask if they're taking new patients. They will generally be seen at 4 days then 1 week, then 2 weeks, and I believe a month old just to make sure their gaining weight and what not. After that, it's monthly until 3 months? Then it's 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, etc. Some doctors continue that pattern until two years, some doctors skip the 15 month check up.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!