View Single Post
July 31st, 2012, 06:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I agree with Jillian and Frackle, whose name escapes me at the moment. I'm eating, so I'm really thinking more about my hotpocket right now than this debate. lol
But that doesn't affect my opinion. This feels very bully-ish to me and I think if given the chance Bloomberg would totally be a controlling dictator. Why is he trying so hard to micromanage New Yorkers' diets?
New mothers need encouragement, not to be hassled. Make getting the formula a little less convenient. Give moms the speech on how it's better, and help them see that it's not as scary/difficult as they might be imagining it to be. But for God's sake, if they know the benefits of BFing and are still choosing FFing, give them the dang formula without making them feel like crap. And why make it a hassle on the nurses who have to go unlock it and document every single bit of it. Trust me, nurses have plenty of other things to keep under lock and key, and to write in their charts. Nursing is already demanding enough!
Push harder to educate and encourage, but be willing to recognize that once a mother's mind is made up, that's the end of it. Just give her the freaking formula.
I guess that sounds strange coming from me considering how annoyed I get to see how heavily formula is advertised in the maternity wards. I'm all for taking out the free samples, and the silly little gifts with the Similac logo that not-so-subtly nudge women in the direction of formula. But also, respect the mother's final decision.

The way you've described that sounds really really great and I would support it completely. I think that's the way it should be.

What I'm against is the government coming up with a LAW requiring formula to be kept under lock and key and to have to justify each and every bottle with a medical excuse, and every single bottle given to a mother is accompanied by a lecture. Not cool.
Yes I'm all for education on both sides, formula and breastfeeding, and the moms need to be supported with the choice she makes. I'm just not for endorsing certain formula companies and then giving out bags to everyone with formula in them. That sends the wrong message I think (atleast to BFing moms).

ETA: If I endorsed a formula company and gave out free cans of Enfamil in my office, I'd be violating ethics and I'd probably get a talk with the health department as well as a fine. I can and do give out information on different formulas available, I work with women who use formula and are trying to find the right one for specific circumstances (GERD, etc), but I do not ever give out free cans. Hosptials should be working the same way. They can give out the information, and I do agree with having those premade bottles in the hospital as some babies do need it and some mothers do not want to nurse, but I don't agree with giving out the bags of free formula. I've never been with a client in a hosptial back home that did not give out the free formula bags, and most of my clients were nursing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Its not a shocker because Bloomberg wants to control everything everybody eats, drinks, or donates in NYC. Its his ego and power trip thats annoying and yet another politician using "its for the children" to try to gain control over a parents choices.

Jillian, its nice to see you here again. Super cute pic and congratulations!!!
Yes I've done some reading on him and he's a bit much too me. While I can agree with helping people out with good choices, I don't agree with taking away choices. I think there needs to be better education, and it could start in the schools (food choice wise). Is he the same guy who is trying to take away large pops in restuarants?

Last edited by HappyHippy; July 31st, 2012 at 06:56 AM.