Topic: Birth plan?
View Single Post
July 31st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have one until the last minute when I hired my doula. It wasn't so much written out for the hospital as it was for her to know my wishes incase of a hospital transfer. The birth center doesn't really need a birth plan since there aren't any intervening options unless you need a transfer. Since I only would have transferred in an emergency situation, my ultimate plan is always for my babies safety so my thoughts would have changed in that case. Luckily my doula was more prepared than me and we sat down and went over an already drafted list that she has of what I was or was not okay with in case of a hospital delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
Welcome!!! So awesome that you came out of lurkdom!!

Ask your doula about a newborn care plan. I do one with my clients, and I agree, in a hospital especially, that's one thing you really want to tack down.

Here is a worksheet that I give some clients that helps you work through your newborn care plan:
http://www.birthlore.com/class/wp-co...-Worksheet.pdf

I actually just list all the options the nurses want to know about and circle yes or no next to them. For example:
Breastfeeding Yes No
Bottle Yes No
Paci Yes No
Room in Yes No
Hep B Yes No
Eye drops Yes No

etc....
This was also included in my doula's plan as well. We ended up changing our minds last minute after delivery to give him the Vitamin K shot because we thought we would be doing the circumcision in a few days. Little did we know he'd still be attached right now and needing surgery in a few months so it was pointless in the long run.