View Single Post
August 7th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What you're dealing with sounds a lot like my son. With him it was caused by oversupply. When you make too much milk the baby can wind up getting too much foremilk and not enough hind milk. That makes them gassy and can make their poop green and kind of frothy. We also had a blood streaked diaper or two with him. We never got him tested for allergies, but at 5-years-old now he doesn't seem to have any, so I think for my son it was all oversupply issues.

The best way to handle that is to block feed. Feed your baby on one side only with each feeding. If he wants to eat again and it's been less than 3ish hours, feed him on the same side that you used with the last feeding. That ensures that he gets plenty of the fatty hind milk and it will also help your body to know to make less milk and eventually your supply will level out. If you can, avoid pumping as that will encourage your body to continue to make too much milk.

I would try block feeding for a week before switching to formula--especially if you suspect dairy and soy allergies (since you'll be very limited for what formulas you can use).