View Single Post
August 9th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Mindful Mama
My husband and I both got whooping cough back in April. It was awful. It spread to our dog too. My kids were all vaccinated and didn't get sick, but we hadn't had boosters and were vulnerable. I have to tell you that being sick and in the first trimester coughing constantly was truly one of the worst things ever. I was in constant fear that something would happen to the baby. I was sick for four weeks, my husband closer to six. I've already told everyone in my family that exposure will be limited unless they are getting boosters. I do have a bit of extra protection in that the antibodies from my having it will go through the breastmilk. I think the same works for the vax, but ask you dr. If that's the case, then as long as you are vaxed, you will be helping the baby by nursing.

Oh and we don't live in WA. We live in GA. I think a few of my friends had it too because there were several of us adults that were coughing for quite a long time. All of the kids (all vaxed) were fine. But I don't know that anyone got an official diagnosis so I can't say for sure it was whooping cough for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm817 View Post
I'm worried about the baby getting sick this year since my oldest will be in school and schools/daycare are a breeding ground for sickness. Even with diligent hand washing and using hand sanitizer, I got the flu when Evan was only 2 weeks old. I was so worried he was going to catch it and how do you stay away from a nursing 2week old? Luckily he didn't get it but him and the other 2 got ear infections and rsv when he was 4 months old. That scared the crap out of me. And the only places we'd go in the winter were grocery shopping on the weekends. So even staying in, sometimes it's just unavoidable.
Actually, you nursing was the best thing you can do You pass along all of your antibodies through the BM to the baby and probably kept them healthy. It's one of the best parts about nursing, IMO. My babies never get sick even when the rest of us are because I'm keeping them protected. I wished so badly I'd still be nursing when we had the stomach flu several years back so that I could have kept the kids from getting it (or getting a much milder version.)

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)