Topic: Parent A ??
View Single Post
August 16th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In one way I can see what they are trying to do, and I don't disagree with parts of it... but on the other hand 'Oh COME ON!'

To me a family should do what works best for them. I think where removing gender is beneficial is in places where gender roles are hindering the relationships in a family. For example when a father is not 'hands on' or doesn't participate fully because he is a man, and that is a 'woman's role.' I think society has come a LONG way in allowing women to have equality, but I think a lot of men still feel uncomfortable with the role of stay at home dad (or other female dominated roles) due to gender stereotyping.

I also think the family dynamic has changed so much in the past 50 years that there is growing need for change in 'gender based terminology'. With single parent homes, and same sex parent homes being common place now when children go to school they are faced with trying to describe their parents roles rather than their title.. (ie single parent may be called 'mother' but fullfils the role of mom and dad, same sex home may have 2 dads, but one is primary caregiver and the other is a secondary caregiver) I think it is important as humans to respect all other people and the titles they choose to have.

All that said... I would never accept being called Parent A.... In our home we practice pretty stereotypical gender roles, on most fronts, and being a MOM is what I look forward to the most in life! If someone told me they wanted to be called Parent A-Z, or Pangender then so be it. Who am I to judge them. I do however expect the same respect back, in the choices that I make regarding my gender and the titles I want used in my family!