View Single Post
August 31st, 2012, 03:00 PM
(formerly junie22)
22 days old

I think it's safe to say that the non-stop eating and refusal to sleep for more than 90 minutes at a time led to a major growth spurt in my little tyke. I could tell he'd gotten longer, and his belly and thighs had rounded out. However, it's just hard to tell from day to day how much he's growing. Well, last night when I was getting him ready for bed, I discovered that he was too big for his newborn sleeper. I have two that are the same exact style, and he can't fit in either one. He's not only too tall, but his little legs are too meaty now. So I put him in a different sleeper (still NB) that was too big to start. And it was even a little snug. I think we'll be graduating him to his 0-3 month sleepers this weekend.

This morning, I decided to weigh myself and then weigh again holding him. And there was an 8.5 pound difference. He was 6 lb & 10 oz to start, dropped to 6 lb & 4 oz by his fourth day, was up to 7 lb & 5 oz by his second week, and I believe he's somewhere around 8.5 lb by his third week. So I'm pretty stoked about his weight gain. Also, for the first time in about a week, he slept for two 3-hour stretches overnight, and he's actually in the middle of what has been a 2-hour nap so far. Yay for growth spurts! And for giving my boobs a respite for just a while.

Earlier this week, Jackson received his very first piece of mail... his Social Security card. I sent the paperwork off for his birth certificate today. The hospital told us to wait about 3 weeks, so that's what I did. I also signed all of the paperwork for adding him as a dependent to my insurance. He's been covered since birth, but HR had to complete the paperwork and send it to me to go beyond the initial 30-day period. It feels like such a slap in the face to basically be spending the entire tax break we get for having a child on health insurance. It's all worth it though.

I'm so looking forward to this holiday weekend with my two guys... without a house guest. I hope to do plenty of housework, and I'm going to send DH out for groceries and some other errand running. While Jackson has napped today, I have cleaned the entire kitchen and done three loads of laundry. So I've already put a small dent in this weekend's chores. It's amazing how much more energy I have when Jackson lets me sleep for a three-hour chunk at a time. It's truly a world of difference.

This weekend, I'm also going to start expressing my breast milk. I'm going to play it ear as to what time of day because that sort of depends on Jackson. Right now would actually be perfect because they are really full since he's been napping. However, I'll wait until tomorrow to try it out. I've already used my pump once, just to help a little with engorgement early on, but this weekend will be the first real time using it. It will be nice to have some stored in the fridge so DH can feed him. I hope Jackson takes to a bottle nipple. He fumbles around on the pacifier and then eventually gets the hang of it, so I hope he'll do the same with the bottle. If not, we have more than two months to get him transitioned. I figured we could try to feed him with a bottle once every day or two and the breast the rest of the time. As I get closer to my return to work, I'll start working the bottle into his routine more. There's still plenty of time for all of that though.

Now he's stretching and squinting his eyes at me, so I'm going to wrap this up so I can change and feed him. I truly love being a mommy.