View Single Post
September 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
(formerly junie22)
Robyn - I know I said that I should get more sleep after the baby than those final weeks of pregnancy. In a way, it's true, but the sleep is different. During the end of my pregnancy, I was up at least every hour to use the restroom, and I also had anxiety/excitement and had a hard time falling asleep. I also had a lot of BH and some real contractions and just generally felt uncomfortable. So a lot of nights, I didn't get more than 3-4 hours of sleep.

Some nights are really rough with Jack, but on a good night, I might get 6 hours of sleep. The difference, though, is that I break that time up with 90 minutes to two hours of nursing/entertaining him in the middle of the night. That break-up of sleep is what's killer. Not to mention that EBF is physically draining. And when I am sleeping, I'm constantly waking up to Jackson's noises. Every little coo or grunt (or fart) wakes me. It's a different kind of sleep. So the short answer is "sort of."

23 days old

Jackson gave me two 3-hour chunks of sleep last night. Of course, after the first chunk, I woke up at 2am to a urine-soaked baby and cradle sheets. Those **** Huggies Little Snugglers! I had used Pampers Swaddlers in NB from birth, but they became too small. Someone had given us some Huggies Little Snugglers in NB, so I decided to use those up before transitioning him to Pampers Swaddlers in size 1. The first time I used them, he had a poop blowout, and last night's pee episode was the fourth urine leak. I only had 36 diapers, so that's a pretty high failure rate. He's now graduated to Pampers Swaddlers size 1. And I am so glad I decided to go with Pampers instead of Huggies.

After feeding and bathing this morning, my little guy decided to take about a 90-minute nap. Since he had only fed off one breast, I decided it was a good time to pump. I got 4 ounces in just 10 minutes on my left breast, so I think pumping is going to work great. I just kept it in the fridge, and I'm hoping that William will feed him tomorrow. Crossing fingers that Jackson takes to a bottle. Since his short nap this morning, he has only wanted to eat, so I'm glad I didn't pump more than 4 ounces.

I received a care package yesterday afternoon from a woman at work who has a 10-month-old. She waited until she was in her 40s to have a baby, and she has been so excited for me. She was very generous at my baby shower, giving me a variety of gifts that worked really well for her daughter. So I was really surprised to get a package from her with a ton of new goodies. So very thoughtful.

DH is out shopping and running errands today. He's been so helpful. He gets really bummed because Jackson will start fussing after a few minutes hanging out with him. I told him that's normal and the only reason that Jackson wants to be with me so much is because I'm his food supply. William has the best burping technique, and he can sing him to sleep. Jackson also loves lying on his chest and hearing the vibrations of his voice. Today, he just sat on DH's lap nestled against his arm, and they watched TV for a while.

Shortly after DH left today, I was really hungry and Jackson was wide awake. So I put him in his little rocker, which has a toy bar with two hanging rattling toys. I was heating up my lunch and I heard the rattles. I looked into the living room, and he was batting at the toys! I'm not sure if he was doing it intentionally or just waving his arms around. Either way, he kept hitting them and staring at them.