View Single Post
September 5th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Veteran
Hi all-

This board hasn't been very active lately and I can tell you one of the reasons why: It doesn't work. Gender swaying has a place in the scientific community, but let me tell you food has nothing to do with it. I will get into this more as I write.

DF and I are not TTC until about another year or so, but in the meantime we have been discussing plans and dreams and both decided that we would like a boy first. We have talked about just having one child but if we had a second we would try for a girl then. Of course I will love whomever decides to join our family, but might as well give it our best shot! This has led into extensive research and as a scientifically minded adult, I reason with the data and find what seems to be working best in the rest of the world.

First of all, the food you eat has nothing to do with what kind of child you will conceive. Maybe the more nutritious the food, the better, but gender is determined by genetic material not food. Instead of dieting, I am going to spend this time eating as healthy as I can to be as fertile as I can possibly be for TTC. Increasing folic acid and vitamins/minerals seems to be the best thing to do to make your womb a prime candidate for carrying life.

The most scientifically accurate info I can find is the timing of conception, because girls swim faster and live longer than boys as sperm. Time BD for girls 4-5 days before ovulation, and for boys 1-2 days before ovulation. It seems the most successful people are the ones who have a predictable cycle. Any success story I can find seems to be all about regulating and being able to predict your cycle and O day. Doing things like supplementing to lengthen luteal phase, and increasing fertility will naturally regulate your cycle.

Plus, I just know that dieting shouldn't be all about what gender you want. As a nutritionist I simply cannot back that up. Your body needs nutrients, just one example is the risk for osteoporosis. As women it is risky to lower calcium intake - we are supposed to be taking extra calcium between 20 and 30 years of age to lower that risk. I don't know about you, but I'd like to preserve my hips as long as possible. As a second example, pH is not something you should f*** around with. Cancer thrives in acidic environments and studies have shown the more alkaline foods you eat (spinach, apples, lemon water, etc) lowers your risk for cancer. There are plenty more examples of why you should choose a diet that is best for your body, and not what someone else tells you is good for you. I will not give up my health just to have a boy, and neither should you!

I have found no success story based on food alone. Let's create some success stories based upon timing and scientific material Who's with me?

Last edited by Terra_Mater; September 5th, 2012 at 08:50 AM.