View Single Post
September 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM
(formerly junie22)
Sarah, the LC told me that I could start pumping at 3 weeks, that babies don't have much nipple confusion after that point. So maybe you could start a little sooner. It's working really well for us, and it's awesome to see DH feed our little one. Also, he got up at 3:45 this morning and let me sleep for an extra 2 1/2 hours.

As for my freezer stash, I only have 4 ounces so far. I actually switched to exclusively pumping for a while to give my nipples a chance to heal. They were both getting really cracked and bruised. I'm not sure why, since the LC told me that Jackson's latch is good. I tried using nipple shields, but Jackson couldn't get as much milk then. He was getting frustrated, and my breasts were becoming engorged. So I switched to pumping until my nipples heal, and it's definitely been a relief. All that said, I'm able to pump a lot more at each session, so I'll be building my stash over the next 2 months for when I return to work.

We bought a small deep freezer for our garage, knowing that I will need to store quite a bit of breast milk. I'm storing it in a way that is definitely not a space saver, but it will save us an extra step in thawing and will be more convenient for our daycare provider. We're using the Playtex drop-ins bottle system. I found the tip online from another woman who stores directly into the drop-ins. I bought two drop-in storage kits. You can pump directly into the drop-ins (using the pump adjuster that comes with the kit), and then I add the rings and move to the freezer. Once fully frozen, I remove the rings and transfer to a Ziploc freezer bag. I figured that when I return to work and Jack is in daycare, I can just bring the Ziploc bags. She can then just remove them one at a time and drop directly into the bottles.

Again, not a space saver, but it is a time saver considering the bottles we're using.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.