View Single Post
September 11th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hi ladies!

I'm due February 17, and I'd really like to hear your feedback on how you handle family drama and who should/shouldn't be there for the birth.

Some background:

My family is a cesspool of drama (My grandparents and my mom can't be in the same city together without killing each other. My dad has nothing to do with me, etc.), but my in-laws are really great. All my family members have been very supportive of me despite all the internal strife, and they are all thrilled about our baby, so that's at least good. My husband's mom wants to come down for the birth or just after, but she is 950 miles away from us. I live 800 miles from my nearest relatives, and I'm the first one in my group of friends to have a child. This is my first, and my husband has no experience with children. He also doesn't do well in hospitals or around doctors.

I'm very worried about being alone during the birth, but since my family is so far away, and they cannot be in the same room with each other, I really don't know what to do. I'm not sure if any of the people I'd want there with me can travel quickly enough to get there for the birth anyway.

Just feeling very frustrated right now...

Who did you have with you during your birth? Was it helpful to have a female friend or relative with childbirth experience with you? For those of you who lived a long way from family or friends, how did you decide upon who should be with you?