View Single Post
September 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryinfor5 View Post
Ahh!! What are the chances right?? They are still trying to open the birth center here in Roanoke, but are getting blocked by no doctors wanting to back them. They were able to successfully open one in Rocky Mount though!!

How were your feelings on the area? I honestly haven't made a ton of friends here (I stay so busy with family and did not grow up here - been here 9 yrs though). I always feel like this should be a very family friendly area, but am constantly surpised by the lack of availablitly of family friendly options??
That's great they got a birth center started in Rocky Mount. I'm surprised they were able to open one there before Roanoke. It's also surprising there isn't more in the way of alternative birth services since there are a lot of old hippies that settled in the NRV (my parents for example, hah!). Though I do know there are a few home birth midwives around.

I don't know a whole lot about the birth climate and family friendly aspects of Roanoke because I didn't have kids when I lived there. Most of my friends were childless as well and the few who did were a lot more main stream. I hope you're enjoying the area. I love the NRV (Especially Blacksburg and VA Tech) but that's my home town so I'm biased

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"