View Single Post
September 19th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So my father in law didn't come right out and say it, but he basically told me in his underhanded way that I was a bad mother for wanting my kid to move out when she's 18. Now it's not like I want her gone because I don't like her, and it's not like I want her to go so far away that she can't visit on the weekends, but I do want her to go to college and move out. I'm also not saying that I'd force her to leave if she wanted to stick around a little longer or do something different, but if I get to choose, yes, move out, go to college, leave this little town and see a few different places, meet some different people, decide who you are without mom and dad, that kind of thing. And hopefully, if we've done our job right, she will be ready to cope and manage her life on her own, (with me cheering on the sidelines of course). I have to admit that the thought of her leaving makes me a little sick, but I hardly want her to stick around here because that's what I want.

What about you? What would you like to see your kids do after they finished high school?