View Single Post
October 5th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran
As promised, my reply:

For simplification, I have only referenced male swaying in this review.

I have found that yes, what you are saying about food does influence gender, but what I seem to understand is that it doesn’t necessarily matter what kind of food you eat. Most of the research I read states that the higher value of energy you have for carrying the more likely you are to have a boy. “Our results support hypotheses predicting investment in costly male offspring when resources are plentiful. Dietary changes may therefore explain the falling proportion of male births in industrialized countries” (Matthew, Johnson, Neil). This suggests that as long as your diet is high in nutritious food, you are more likely to carry male. In looking at a trend throughout the world, we are seeing that there is a decline in the male gender and this research article suggests that perhaps it is our lack of nutrition, which seems valid but it would be really hard to say exactly what causes that.

To confirm the findings of a high nutritional diet needed for the male gender, in the study done with dogs, they found as well that “females with the access to the greatest food resources, in this case a diet extremely high in fat, produced more sons than daughters and a predominance of male-biased litters” (Rosenfeld, Grimm, Livingston…). The research article also stated that “in female mammals, it remains controversial whether maternal diet and particularly the source and availability of energy can influence sex of offspring born” (Rosenfeld, Grimm, Livingston…). There seems to be a trend somewhere, but they are unsure exactly what the factor is. Getting plenty of nutrition to sustain the weaker gender seems logical after all; I see no reason why this couldn’t be found true, unless you are financially poor as stated by Trivers-Willard hypothesis.

Trivers-Willard hypothesis “predicts greater investment in males by parents in good conditions and greater investment in females by parents in poor conditions” (Wikipedia) which does not in itself suggest a specific type of diet. Duenwald agrees and reported that in the early 2000’s, a man named Lazarus reviewed 54 studies that were published and “found that 26 supported the Trivers-Willard hypothesis, one found evidence against it, and the rest found no effect.” Kanazawa also confirms this theory but warns “it is largely up to chance, but there are factors that very subtly influence the sex of an offspring,” stating further that your financial state has something to do with what you are genetically predisposed to carrying-“There is evidence for this hypothesis throughout human societies.” This method seems to be the tried and true, above any other method out there. It seems that the more healthy, strong, and financially stable you are, the more likely of carrying male. In yet another study, Cameron and Dalerum find that in 60% of billionaires have male children. The evidence seems to be relentless that evolutionary conditions play the biggest role.

To contradict the diet factor, Grant reviews a study that found that the relationship is not in fact food, but personality that seems to be the contributing factor in carrying male. “The consistency and strength of these results led to the formulation of the maternal dominance hypothesis, which states that women who are more dominant in personality (when compared with the other women in their cultural group) are more likely to conceive and bear sons” (Grant). Intuitively I have found this to be true, it seems as though the “tough mothers” are the ones to have many boys. In my family, it seems the more aggressive women carry male, but I wouldn’t use my own situation to reflect on the rest of the world. It did seem that this article was a push for more research, as they only looked at 32 women and therefore did not collect nearly enough data to make a valid conclusion.

I took a look at the gender dreaming website, and found an article that contained no date or author, and to look deeper into the website you need to login or sign up, which I am not going to do. I leave the Gender Dreaming website to be represented by the members of the website, so please feel free to share any articles from there that have more information.

In conclusion, it seems that Shettles method has indeed been proven false but there is no evidence suggesting diet is the only thing determining gender either. It seems that the gender you are more likely to carry is determined greatly by genetic predisposition. Intuitively I want to say that being strong and healthy increases the chance of carrying a weaker gender, but I have a lack of evidence to prove it and will refrain from devoting myself to swaying for the time being. I continue to stand by my statement that it is dangerous to mess with your diet, I would never compromise my health to take the chance in carrying one gender over another. I still say it is best to follow a diet tuned for your body, keeping yourself healthy and strong is most important.

Works Cited

Cameron, Elissa Z., and Fredrik Dalerum. "A Trivers-Willard Effect in Contemporary Humans: Male-Biased Sex Ratios among Billionaires." PLOS ONE:. University of Pretoria, South Africa, n.d. Web. 05 Oct. 2012. <http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0004195>.

Duenwald, Mary. "Living World / Sex & Reproduction." The Biology of . . . Sex Ratios. N.p., June 2005. Web. 05 Oct. 2012. <http://discovermagazine.com/2005/jun/biology-of-sex-ratios>.

"Gender Dreaming Forums." Choosing Your Child through Diet- The French Gender Diet Introduction. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Oct. 2012. <http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion-ttc-boy-girl-home-swaying-info/2221-choosing-your-child-through-diet-french-gender-diet-introduction.html>.

Grant, Valerie J. "Sex Determination and Maternal Dominance." Sex Determination and Maternal Dominance. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Oct. 2012. <http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses/molbio/restricted/01Dom/Dom.html>.

Kanazawa, Satoshi. "The Scientific Fundamentalist." Boy or Girl? What Determines the Sex of Your Child? I. N.p., 1 Feb. 2009. Web. 05 Oct. 2012. <http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200902/boy-or-girl-what-determines-the-sex-your-child-i>.

Matthews, Fionna, Paul J. Johnson, and Andrew Neil. "You Are What Your Mother Eats: Evidence for Maternal Preconception Diet Influencing Foetal Sex in Humans." You Are What Your Mother Eats: Evidence for Maternal Preconception Diet Influencing Foetal Sex in Humans. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Oct. 2012. <http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/275/1643/1661.abstract>.

Rosenfeld, Cheryl S., Kristie M. Grimm, Kimberly A. Livingston, Angela M. Brokman, William E. Lamberson, and R. Michael Roberts. N.p., n.d. Web.

"Trivers-Willard Hypothesis." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 23 Aug. 2012. Web. 05 Oct. 2012. <http://www.wikipedia.org/>.

Last edited by Terra_Mater; October 5th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.