View Single Post
October 11th, 2012, 03:27 AM
MaKinslie's Mommy
I went in Monday night at 9 pm to start Cervidil to make my cervix favorable for induction. I was 39 weeks pregnant and my OB was worried that due to how big she was measuring on scans it would be best to induce sooner than later to avoid an emergency C-section later on.
Well when I went in they checked my cervix and I was dilated to a 2 and 80% effaced which was quite remarkable because since 34 weeks I had been closed up and had no effacement. The night nurse warned me that because this was the case Cervidil may send me into labor before I got Pitocin. She placed my IV and they left me to rest. I fell asleep at 12 and woke up a few times cramping. At 3:30 nurse came in and said that they were picking up contractions so it was a good sign. She left and back labor started which was very painful. It was so inconsistent and horrible. The only position that helped was sitting up on the bed and every time I did someone came running in because they couldn't get a reading of her heartbeat in that position. Finally at 6 am they came in to remove Cervidil and check me. I had progressed to a 3 and still 80% so Pitocin was hooked up along with a low dose of insulin because my blood sugar was slightly high. At this point contractions were getting uncomfortable and I couldn't imagine the pain of them getting worse with my back labor I had so I asked for the epidural to be placed. That numbing shot was probably the worst pain of my delivery lol. But I was applauded by the anesthesiologist For my ability to go absolutely still and let him work even in that pain. Once my epidural was in I felt awesome. My parents and two sisters arrived while my husband let my brother know he could play our xbox while waiting at the house. It was about 9 am when my OB came in and broke my water, letting me know that it should speed things along and they were aiming for birth at 6 pm hopefully. I said okay and we all napped lol. I woke up at 10:30 to be checked and I was then a 5 still 80% effaced, nurse said that in a few hours I might be ready to push. My mom was skeptical and let her know that she always went really fast after 4 cm. The nurse just smiled and said we would see. At 12 my doctor came in to check me and my blood sugar. As he lifted up my blanket the nurse gave a little shriek and announced I was complete. The baby just had to move down the birth canal a little bit and we'd be ready to push. I was shocked and terrified because I couldn't feel enough to push. I asked them to turn off my epi. My Dr. had to go do a c section but promised we'd be pushing after that. they both left. After some panicking that she might push herself out with no doctor around (silly I know) my mom got the nurse and we began to push. This was at 1:00. My doctor joined us shortly. I could feel the contractions in my hips and enough pressure to push. I had a team of 5 people applauding my good pushes and coaching me at the end of my bed. My doctor told me to give one big big push and when I did I heard a little cough and my sister and husband both teared up and my mom asked "did you hear her?" She cried for about 2 seconds and then was very calm as they took her to the table to be measured and scored. I still hadn't seen her but I kept hearing everyone gushing about her thick hair and chubby legs. My doctor delivered the placenta and went straight to work stitching me up from 2nd degree tear. It took a long time and lots of pushing on my tummy which HURT a lot. While they were doing that my little girl was placed on my chest and just stared At me calmly as I talked to her and looked at her in amazement.
MaKinslie Kay was born on 10/09/12 @ 1:27 pm Weighing 8 pounds 15 ounces 19 inches long.
She honestly has been so good about not crying unless her needs are absolutely going unnoticed. We have been successfully breast feeding and doing lots of skin to skin which she loves. She is the love of my life and her Daddy and I are so grateful for her.