Topic: Science?
View Single Post
October 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Built for Birth
We use T4L too and I feel that there is a lot that is not covered directly that I want my kids to learn. I also buy the Everything your kid needs to know grade X for each year as well as the Learn at Home Grade X books to help me build my own science (and social studies) lessons for the year to compliment T4L. We are loosely structured (not very strict in our schedule) and I only spend about one day a season lesson planning. I put everything in a folder and I have my daughter grab those lessons from the folder once or twice a week.

I am a Christian, but I also don't theologically agree with a lot of the Christian-based science out there. I also have my degree in Anthropology and masters in Archaeology. A good scientific foundation is a priority for me to give my family. Thankfully, practical science as practiced in the real work is knowing how to ask questions, learning how to answer those questions, learning who has asked those questions before you, lots of observations and so on. For example, when studying the beginning of the universe: I find it's healthier to present and study all theories with the least amount of slant possible, then recognize your bias, study in the context of your bias, then set aside your bias to study it from another angle. Teaching my children to look at information from multiple perspectives can be beneficial for critical thinking in the long run.