View Single Post
October 16th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
^^^ Completely what Mandy said.

I have medicated and unmedicated students (ADHD and otherwise). For some there's a big change in their behavior w/ w/o meds. I don't think the teacher should be pre-emptively asking about taking the medicine, but wait to see in class.

If the standing thing and blurting out things are regular problems, perhaps they could do some behavioral modifications for him - a swivel chair (or rolling one), hand signs (or other code) to cue him about answering questions. I would try those first before meds, personally.

Now, I will tell you, when they get older - like middle school - those hormones are horrible and the meds don't always work. So, if he continues w/ meds, be aware of this when he hits puberty.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Nicole*~ View Post
He is much better academically when he takes it, yes. Although, he still does very well on his school work without it, when he takes his medicine he is able to concentrate better and work more neatly. He is almost NEVER unruly for me, but apparently it's different at school. It's when he's around other kids that he starts getting hyper. And he is very impulsive. But he's also a 6 year old boy and I know that it's not just him that deals with that issue! Some days I just forget to give his pill to him and I guess I don't personally feel like it's a huge deal for him to miss a day now and then. He never refuses to take it, but he has gotten into the bad habit of expecting it to change his behavior without him trying to work to change it himself. I am trying to get him to understand that he can't blame not taking his medication when he has a difficult time at school. He didn't have this attitude about it last year, but if he gets into any trouble he blames it on not taking his medicine. I really, really want to avoid that mindset because I don't want him to think he has to take medicine for the rest of his life just to be "normal" or to have that crutch to blame all of his behavior on.
ok, I hear this often from parents. I would recommend observing your son's class if at all possible, or better yet have them video tape a class so you can observe the undesired behaviors. (Our kids always act different when parents are in the room.)

The kids do act different at home than at school. When my medicated kids don't take their meds, I struggle with teaching the 35 other kids in the room because I am constantly redirected the one child. Not saying this is your case, but just as an example.

Also, some meds need to build up in the system to be effective and when the kids aren't medicated over the weekends, the first couple days back at school are even harder.

Please know I don't believe in medicating, unless it is necessary.