View Single Post
October 16th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I believe that if things have gotten to the pint that the child needs medication, they should be taking it without fail. As Dee mentioned, many of those meds have to reach a therapeutic level to be effective, so popping him on & off could actually do more harm than good. It's almost like he's taking them for nothing.

I believe before choosing to medicate a child, other strategies should be used. I found using cues, allowing the child to work alone in a quiet area, & teaching study habits to be effective for some students. Some need that, but also need meds in addition to those strategies. I'm assuming all of those things were tried before you decided to medicate him.

Also whenever you disagree with a teacher or are not regularly observing the behaviors the teacher is concerned about, it's a good idea to first visit the classroom to understand how a classroom works and how disruptive it truly is for a student to refuse to observe classroom rules. Shouting out may not seem like a huge deal to a parent, but when you have 22-25 6 year olds in one room, any breach in structure can result in chaos. Learning doesn't take place in chaos. So the concern is for both your son AND the other students. First grade is the MOST important year of primary school. Studies show that mastery of this grade level usually results in success. I just want to highlight how imperative it is that you guys get on the same page this school year.
My suggestion is to work closely with his teacher and other professionals on campus to ensure strategies are put in place to help him, whether he's medicated or not. I also suggest coming to a conclusion on what exactly you want to do with the meds. Do you want him on or off? Visit the school often, & observe his behavior in an academic setting, inconspicuously is best. Is there a window you could look through? If not, have someone record the class. Recording him in small group with his teacher and 2-3 other students is telling.

I have seen many parents who, for whatever reason, play with dosages, discontinue meds or change meds, then become upset at the end of the year when their child is failing school.
I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Last edited by ~Rae~; October 16th, 2012 at 09:29 AM.