View Single Post
October 31st, 2012, 06:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Like many others on this board, I have issues with the "socialization" question: i.e., that if my child was in public school, they should not be there to socialize anyway...they should be there to do their school. People don't go to work to "socialize"...neither should children go to school to "socialize". School is for your education.

Anyway, our kids get plenty of socialization. They have many cousins, some friends their own age, and a ton of friends either older or younger than they are. I like that they have friends of all ages, because I think that it helps with their social skills. I've often noticed that children who are in a classroom with 30 other kids their own age all the time have a hard time relating to people older or younger than themselves.
My kids are very social and seem to make friends wherever we go (lately, the grocery store! ) We meet people at the library, at church, at the doctor's office, on walks, at family functions, etc. etc. Since they go everywhere with me, they meet people every day. People are often astounded that my 5-year-old can hold a great conversation with adults. And I'm not saying that to brag, but to encourage you that your kids are going to be just fine in the area of so-called "socialization"!

You are persevering in the face of some discouraging people Keep up the good work! Your children are worth it

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.