View Single Post
November 12th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know just how you feel about him growing up too fast. I just had a breakdown night before last about this. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that while it does suck, it also just keeps getting better and better!

I also don't blame you on the picture thing. I post pictures on FB like crazy...but not here! Karin can probably vouch for my picture posting craziness on FB.

So here's my thinking about BF'ing. Regardless of what you do, your supply with generally regulate itself to meet your needs. So if you want to build a stash, then keep up with pumping with every feed. If you aren't worried about a stash or don't want to pump, then pump just enough, only when you have to, to keep from getting engorged. This will start to decrease your supply. The longer that your milk sits in your breasts, the more a hormone builds up. Eventually if your breasts aren't emptied, the hormone tells your body that you don't need as much milk and your supply decreases. (This is why supply and demand are so important when starting out.)

As far as the milk you pump, there are awesome guidelines on Kellymom as well as the Medela and Ameda sites for storage. As far as the hindmilk/foremilk balance, it will work itself out. There will be times that he doesn't take your breast long so he'll have gotten mainly foremilk but then you give him a bottle later on of milk that was pumped at the end of a nursing session and he's getting mainly hindmilk. It's only when it's an ongoing thing of baby getting only one or the other that a problem comes up. And don't worry, if there is an issue with an imbalance, you'll see weird changes in his poop and can make adjustments from there.

P.S. if you like them, granola bars makes great snacks/breakfast when nursing and it helps keep things moving well while you are healing.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph