View Single Post
November 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
May DDC here - Growing up, my grandfather and my family had guns in the house. My grandfather was a serious hunter and just kept his rifles and shotguns under the bed, but we knew to never touch them. When we got older, my grandmother made him put them in a safe. My grandfather and one of my Uncle's also often slept with a loaded gun in case of intruders. I think my Dad's might have been loaded, I'm not 100% sure, but it wasn't locked up and I knew where the ammo was if I wanted to get into it. Dad was kinda paranoid about security and intruders too. When he offered to let me shoot one of his pistols when I was in my teens I was deathly afraid of it and wouldn't even touch it. With 3 girls, he probably didn't have to worry too much that we were going to try to play with the gun or bring it to school or something like that. We just had enough respect to know it was Dad's and to never touch it. Times were different then I guess (I'm almost 40 now lol)...

We have guns in our house now. I gave my .22 to my dad to put in his safe when I got pregnant the first time around because I didn't think I'd need it anymore and we didn't have a safe. Now we have DHs pistols, rifles and shotguns hidden up high in the closet, unloaded and locked, but we will be getting a safe for them soon. We also store the ammo separately.

It's a personal choice, but I don't think most people would criticize you for having a gun in the house as long as it's not easy accessible or loaded. Lock them up before the kids are old enough to be curious about them.