View Single Post
November 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffneyc View Post
I'm very superstitious about birth plans because it seems like the moms that are most staunch in it are the ones that end up having to throw it out the window.
I think you might be assuming that birth plans are the mother writing out how the birth WILL go, but I think they are more of a guideline for the drs and nurses so they won't have to ask so many questions while you are trying to concentrate on your labor. When you are panting and screaming during transition, the last thing you want to have to do is answer questions about your wishes or worse - fight for them. No thanks, I'll give them a birth plan so everyone is on the same page (literally) and if things change, that's totally fine, no birth is without some surprises! So far, I've had great luck with the drs sticking to my wishes on my birth plan even with obstacles. Like with my son's delivery, we didn't get that hour of bonding time alone until after I was out of surgery but it was so amazing how the nurses ushered my family out of the room and John, Jack and I were able to have some time together as a new family. I'm so glad I wrote it down so I didn't have to explain to everyone they had to leave while I was feeling so weak and out of it. It probably wouldn't have happened if it weren't in my birth plan.