View Single Post
November 18th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffneyc View Post
I totally get it. And everyone on here sounds reasonable. But you have to understand that we just see a lot of people that will throw huge fits with any deviation in the birth plan. Like the IV thing, it's required in case of an emergency, we need access to give drugs. (it's scary to think about, but I'm not talking pitocin here, I'm talking epinephrine if your heart stops kind of stuff). We have women that throw HUGE fits about it. Not to long ago we had a patient who came in laboring but didn't want to have the baby until the next day because being born on the day she went into labor was bad luck, or at least that's what their spiritual advisor told them. Baby ended up having decels and she needed a c section but Dad was so upset he literally ripped the epidural out of her back to stop them from operating until after midnight as per their birth plan. It was insane. I have to ask though, what is the issue with the cord? Is cutting it while pulsating bad? I don't mean to sound stupid, but I've never heard that.
Wow, that couple sounds like a whack job of a couple. I don't think they are a good example of a couple who makes a birth plan for sure. Insane! They sound more like a cautionary tale that drs tell you about what type of people make birth plans to make you feel weird about making one.
I hear you about the IV, but in all reality, when I started hemorrhaging after my firstborn and was rushed to the OR, they didn't even use the IV I already had placed since it wasn't fresh; they started a second IV on my other hand and had it connected in like 15 seconds. That's why I feel like it's a little less imperative to get that IV placed ASAP because I've been in an emergency situation and I saw the way it was handled. I'm ok with the IV though since it sounds like a big deal to the hospital - it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
As far as the cord blood, I think you have some good info from the other ladies! Kind of off topic, but I read this great book called Birth Day by Mark Sloan over the Summer that talks about the transition from a fetus to a baby that occurs in the first 5 minutes of a person's life. It is fascinating! Because of your profession, I bet you would really find ot interesting.

PS Here's the link to amazon if you are interested in checking it out.
Amazon.com: Birth Day: A Pediatrician Explores the Science, the History, and the Wonder of Childbirth: Mark Sloan: Books