View Single Post
December 2nd, 2012, 08:05 PM
Arwen
I hear this far too often, and I know people are just trying to be positive about Alice, but I am really tired of the comments about how Autistic children are savants.

"She will be brilliant at something one day, you'll see!" or...

"Imagine what Mozart or Einstein would have been if their parents didn't let them reach for the stars!"

And it makes me really sad because I've regularly been around four children with Autism, and none of them are showing any Forest Gump behavior yet. The oldest is 12. None can do complicated Algebraic Equations in their heads, none are geniuses at building things, and I haven't seen one that was clever with dates or music... I feel like they are trying to set me up for one big disappointment.

I love my child dearly, but honestly she can't comprehend that she needs to use the potty when she's naked AND clothed. She is constantly naked here because she is completely potty trained with nothing on her butt. She doesn't understand that sound travels. She will do things with our backs turned thinking we are clueless about it. What are they trying to convince me of? Because I can't even get it through to my almost 5 year old that she needs to be quiet and back up from the rocking chair while I put her sister to sleep. Can't get her to understand only two vitamins a day, or that eating paper is for goats and not little girls!

She figures things out, true, but so do crows and squirrels. If my child had to live alone for a week with a single loaf of packaged bread, she would starve because she couldn't even open it! I really just wish they could stop telling me these things that aren't normal. "Well they say that they're really smart! They all have something that they are great at!"

Yeah, and Alice's is mimicking lines from Sesame Street. I wish they'd just let her be, let me be. She's fine how she is, an adorable little girl that sounds like Elmo. And she is **** cute!