View Single Post
September 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM
Ephesians 4:29
Unfortunately, I'm able to see both sides of the coin because it's how I was treated as a child. While I definitely don't think that much force was warranted, I also know that it's exactly how it's been done in my family for several generations (as far back as anyone in my family can remember anyway). As kids, we were always reminded of the verse in the Old Testament (leviticus maybe? can't recall off the top of my head) that unruly children were to be taken outside the city and stoned to death. I very firmly believe that verse was referring to rebelliant teenagers with outrageous attitudes and not to children who are still learning the rules, though! I won't be treating my son the way I was treated, that's for sure. Children should be taught to understand before being so harshly punished for something.

Explain to him that your son is just not old enough to comprehend that much... and that the punishment not only needs to fit the crime, but that it should never EVER be given in anger. It sounds to me ... with redness lingering this long ... that your dh didn't take the time to cool off before spanking your son. He needs some help with anger management, and I simply can't tell you where to get it. You might try asking about anger management advice over in the controlling & abusing relationships board, though. They'll probably direct you to some help/advice for dealing with your hubby.