Topic: Dr. Phil
View Single Post
December 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I just have to say to those of you who assume that these mothers are doing it for themselves and that they are somehow pushing it on their child, you are WRONG! At least the handful of mothers I have met who have nursed past 3 or 4. They are gentle, loving mothers who want nothing more than for their children to have weaned 3 years ago but are trying to follow their children's lead and support their emotional needs. My Le Leche League leader in NY was still nursing her 5 year old and each meeting spent time emoting about how badly she wanted her son to be done but how happy she was to continue to follow hos lead. Yes it's a bit odd and not at all appealing but have any of you who are suggesting that these moms are doing it for themselves even nursed a toddler? There is just no way on earth a mother would #1 be able to force the issue and #2 not want them to self wean already. Maybe I am wrong but this is coming from my experience with 2 moms I know who have nursed 6 year olds and a handful nursing 3-4 yr olds. It's also been determined that the natural age of weaning is 7 cross culturally, I think the ONLY reason it's weird is because it is not socially acceptable.

Last edited by bostoncreampie; December 13th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.