Topic: Dr. Phil
View Single Post
December 14th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Team Blue Mama of Two
It was hard for me not to get a tiny bit mad reading these responses. Before I had Josiah, I had the mindset that 8-12 months would be how long I would breast-feed, and then we'd be done. The one year mark rolled around, and he was still nursing every 3-4 hours. He was a picky eater, and hated cows milk, and was in the 10th percentile for weight. Of course I kept bf-ing him! I night weaned him at age 2, and he was not fully weaned until 41 months, when I was 5 weeks pregnant with Jamison. I am not a hippie granola mom... never expected to bf that long. To have so many people say it is gross or weird is frustrating to me, when it is directly in line with the recommendations of the World Health Organization for optimal health! Yes, I find it weird when a child above age 2 is clawing at the mom's boob all day long, especially in public. Once they are eating solids, it is entirely possible for bf-ing to be done in the privacy of your own home. An example: we took a music class when Josiah was 3, and it was only a 45 minute class. There was a mother of another 3 year old who ended up nursing multiple times during class. By the time Josiah was that age, he nursed first thing in the morning, and before bed. It never would have occurred to him to be trying to lift my shirt up in public, and it wouldn't have been allowed!!
The verbatim recommendation from World Health Organization:
Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. As a global public health recommendation, infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development and health2. Thereafter, to meet their evolving nutritional requirements, infants should receive nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods while breastfeeding continues for up to two years of age or beyond.

Oh, and as for the co-sleeping, it can be done safely with two kids. I co-sleep with Jamison and Josiah at naptime. Josiah is old enough that I don't have to worry about him falling out of the bed, so he sleeps all the way to the left in the king sized bed, me in the middle, and Jamison on the right. I wouldn't do it all the way through the night when I was in deep sleep, but it works for us at naptime.