View Single Post
December 14th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Built for Birth
The first thing that comes to mind is optimal fetal positioning. It sounds like your labor distributes signs of fetal/pelvic misalignment. When you have an epidural, they usually rotate you from side to side which can help align the baby. Have you checked out Spinning Babies Home I'd also look into getting seen by a webster certified chiropractor.

Also, do you have any mental blocks? Are you a type A personality? Do you have fears or anxieties that might be affecting your dilation? Can you "let go" and just allow whatever birth you get, in spite of your plans?

Have you tried a tub before trying an epidural? Water birth sounds like it might be a great option for you.

And for the record, there is a mini transition that many moms experience (that I have seen with my clients) that happens around 3-4 cm as you go from early labor and your hormones kick you into active labor. Just like the transition that happens at 7-8cm this can take a different amount of time for everyone.

I'd also like to encourage you that having an epidural wear off is not the same as going natural. Whenever you receive pain medications in labor, it interferes with your natural endorphins and natural pain blockers that you might receive going natural the whole time. The only thing I can relate this to is getting tattoos (I have many). When I get tattoos, it kind of stings a little at first, but after a while, it just gets numb and I don't feel it as much. But we take a break and come back to it, it hurts like the dickens (even more than when we started before). Here is a great article about how your hormones help you in labor:
Ecstatic Birth - Mothering Community

And then I'll be "that guy" to say, sometimes epidurals aren't a bad thing. They are there to help. If an epidural will save you from a surgical birth, then that is wonderful! If it saves you from a 5 day long transitiony labor, then I don't see that as a bad thing either. What's bad, is the over-use, the routine use, the blanketed use of this tool. I always say that it's great to prepare for all outcomes: natural birth, epidural birth, or c-section, know how to use ALL birth tools to YOUR and YOUR BABY's benefit. And feel confident in those choices. It doesn't mean that you are broken.

Every birth is different as well. Every labor and birth reflects the needs of each individual baby, mother, and unique circumstances. It's not just you, it's like a dance between you and your baby. It's a submission to a process that begins when the stars align perfectly at the perfect time. Sometimes if we try to control it too much, we are interfering with that process. I often teach my clients to meditate on the word surrender. It can change your experience in pregnancy and birth drastically. This is a new baby and a unique experience. This labor will be as different as this baby is from your others. Do your best to accept is as something totally new.

Last edited by therevslady; December 14th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.