View Single Post
December 15th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
I know several women who have had similar experiences. Think about every other mammal on the planet. When a mama cat or deer, or whatever goes into labor and they feel even the slightest bit unsure of their surroundings, labor stops. It can't continue forward until the mother is absolutely sure she is safe.

I think some women experience birth the same way. I have known women for whom the fear, pain, anxiety, or even excitement surrounding birth has prevented them from progressing (and most of them did get an epidural and were then able to dilate). Perhaps doing some visualization (before birth) picturing what it is you fear or worry about with labor, and changing it into a safe, positive experience.

I also know women who labor for very long periods of time (up to 10+ hours) with little to no progression and then suddenly progress. It really sounds like you have tried a LOT of different things. I almost wonder if there's some underlying anxiety or belief that nothing is going to work and so it doesn't. The mind is a really powerful thing!
While I definitely feel more like it won't work now, I didn't for the previous births. I was sure I'd be able to handle it and get through the pain. Again, kind of like long distance running. But now I do have more discouragement because even in the best of situations I wasn't able to do it.

I did have a lot of that start and stop early on...I'm sure some of it was part of early labor and totally normal, but I noticed that if I was left alone and calm, in a safe place and my kid was taken care of (away from me) I could get into a good, regular contraction pattern...the second that space was disrupted my contractions would stop and not come back. It kept frustrating me at the end because I felt I was so close to going into labor if only people would leave me alone! haha.