View Single Post
December 15th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the point isn't that some of these wives tales are true. (Ie, morning sickness means you are having a girl) but rather that STATISTICALLY, those who have girls are more likely to have morning sickness. Here, in case ppl didn't read the article to see the full research behind this, I'll copy over some quotes.

MORNING

SICKNESS
MYTH: If you are sick throughout the pregnancy, it will be a girl. But if you have little or no morning sickness you will have a boy.
REALITY: Mothers ARE more likely to have serious morning sickness if they are expecting a girl. A study of more than a million pregnancies in Sweden from 1987 to 1995 showed it was far more likely in women carrying a female child. Dr Michael Swiet, from the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in London, said: “There could be all sorts of explanations. Morning sickness is something to do with hormones — girl babies may produce different hormones and that could be part of the problem.”

So, in short, if you have a girl, you're more likely to have M/S. But you can still have it with a boy. In other words, I just think this means STATISTICALLY it is more rare to not have m/s with a girl than it is to not have m/s with a boy.

DADDY’S

WEIGHT
MYTH: If the baby’s father piles on the pounds during pregnancy then you are having a girl. But if he doesn’t put on a pound, it’s a boy.
REALITY: Experts in Denmark believe the dad’s weight MAY give you some tell-tale signs. In a study of 100 dads-to-be, nearly every one who put on weight later had a baby girl. But only five of the dads who had a boy were heavier on the scales.

See, basically it's just statistics. They aren't saying "if this happens, you will have this gender" but rather that statistically, "when you have this gender, this is more common than it is with the other gender"

Sorry for being a pedantic nerd