View Single Post
December 18th, 2012, 12:12 AM
DOh!
There was one teacher in my elementary school that had a sort of "bucks" system. Bathroom breaks were never included in it though, ever. We could earn for doing all kinds of things, and we could lose for doing all kinds of things. We could also spend them on different things. Just nothing like a bathroom break, or recess or anything like that. Things that we would have, and should be(imo) given anyway.
(and yes I do feel recess, of some sort, is necessary at that age, everyday)

None of the teachers around here, that I know of, use any kind of "bucks" system, but they don't treat bathroom breaks as some kind of treat to be earned, either. I know they deal with kids that goof off when they shouldn't. But they're handled on a kid by kid basis only. That's exactly how I think it should be done.

I still stand pretty firm that bathroom breaks shouldn't, at elementary level especially, be treated as if they're some magical privilege you need to earn. Whether they are extra breaks, or ones the entire class gets. I'm not comfortable with someone telling a child to control their body when in all likelihood they may not be able to. I don't honestly believe the ones who would make a teacher feel such a policy needs to be in place, will outnumber the ones who do not. In other words, you don't have an entire classroom full of goof-offs and shouldn't treat them as if they are.
But, just my personal opinion, of course, lol.