View Single Post
December 23rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks all of you I feel overwhelmed by the masses of information out there, and just don't know where to start. It's nice to finally have some direction. I guess I should specify small town - it's about 50,000 people here, and for some reason this town thinks it's a city. We're the biggest place in the area, but it's still an ignorant speck. Big enough that we have a hospital which thinks quite highly of itself (despite it's rather poor reputation) - it's a widely repeated joke here that Blessing is more likely to kill you than help you. In all the stories my friends and families have told me of their experiences here the main things I hear are ignorance, intervention, and pressure to do as you are told. The hospital offers it's one birth class and there are no other options locally. I did check that doula search though, thank you! Looks like the closest one is two hours away and out of state

Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
Rural hospitals have their challenges, but one thing I experienced at that hospital was sincere kindness and a willingness to work with us (very much unlike many of the hospitals that I work with in the burbs with a high turnover rate).
Unfortunately that is not Blessing. But I have been hearing good things about the OB's at another, smaller place, QMG. I think when my insurance situation is sorted out I might see about going there. No matter what you still have to deliver at Blessing, but you can have your doctor from QMG and they are in charge.

Originally Posted by GranolaMama View Post
I too have had a natural intervention free hospital birth in a rural area. It was a very positive experience for me, and with the right care givers and support system, totally doable
That's a relief! I am at a loss as to what to do for a support system. I will have my BF obviously, but aside from that I have few options. I will simply have to nut-up and interview the OB's after the holiday season is over, so that when I do get in there I won't have to fight my doctor to have my birthing preferences respected.

Originally Posted by daneeleigh View Post
We did NOT tell too many people our intentions of having a NCB and frankly you may want to consider this. If you find most won't be receptive it's best not to hear the negative comments. They will share them even if they have NO clue what they're talking about. We told a few and as soon as I realized we were not supported in our decision we shut up quick. I figured it be best to inform once I did it and had proven I could versus trying to defend something I hadn't experienced and everyone was saying, "Don't worry, you'll want that epidural." They had me so terrified I would doubt my abilities.
That is exactly it. Within a few hours of sharing - note I said sharing, I did not ask for opinions - I was told by multiple people that I wouldn't want natural, that I shouldn't do it, that I will want pain medication. None of these people wanted/had natural births though, so how could they know? And what gives them the right to discourage me? Because their comments are very discouraging. It's frustrating. Especially as one of them is a woman I had planned to ask to be in the delivery room with me.

PS - Love you guys siggy pictures

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy