View Single Post
December 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Mom to Allison and JR
My DD has severe eczema and has since she was 3 months old. One thing that has worked well (not when it's flared up but in the off times) is coconut oil or olive oil. You have to put it on more often than thick lotions but it keeps them hydrated. I haven't done the bleach baths very often because it's for more infected eczema than broken out skin. We do a lot of wet wrapping. They take a long bath with oatmeal in it, Aveeno has a nice one for babies, take them out and smear them with vaseline, then put them wet PJ's (hands and feet covered is a bonus!). The wet PJ's allow more of the vaseline to absorb into the dry cracked skin. Also, if he's having trouble sleeping, see if the ped will allow a small amount of benedryl (some will, some won't). It should help with the itching to let him get some sleep (it doesn't make Allison sleepy but it lets her sleep for about 4 hours without scratching). Mittens help if they'll tolerate it. I've learned a few tricks for dealing with a baby and now toddler with eczema! Good luck on finding something that works for Nick.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog