View Single Post
December 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I still cry bull at the idea that breastfeeding doesn't hurt. Yes, it's not supposed to and the idea is to get it so that it won't hurt. If you're doing it right then it won't hurt. HOWEVER. Breastfeeding is like a dance and when you're learning a dance you take a few stumbles and step on a few toes. Breastfeeding hurts in the beginning for a lot of new mommies because they're learning how to do it correctly. So, yes, breastfeeding DOES hurt in the beginning.

My nipples were bloody and bruised ruined messes for the first two weeks. It turned out that my son had a clamping issue and because of the pain I was too scared to "feed" him more of my breast. Once I figured out how to resolve the clamping issue, got brave and encouraged a deeper latch, and set SOME kind of time limit on his nursing (1.5-3 hour marathons are a tad too much, lol) my nipples healed and we never had another issue.

I *DO* fully agree with the notion that nursing moms get more sleep. I certainly didn't feel like that in the beginning because my son wanted to be on me 24/7 and he didn't sleep for longer than 2-3 hours at a time for WEEKS. In fact, it wasn't until 3 months that he slept for longer than 4 hours at a time. It turned out that he had acid reflux. Once that got taken care of he slept more. But as time went on and our night routine became easier I thought back to if I had bottle fed him. You would have to mix the bottle, get the right temp, and then clean up. With breastfeeding I only had to whip it out and then tuck it up before laying him down. Much more easy and meant more sleep

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!