View Single Post
December 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Traci~ View Post
This was the only lactation consultant at our hospital. I could go see her for free anytime I needed her and I really liked her a lot, but I just couldn't ever get the results at home that she was able to get in the office. I used the nipple shields for months. I had a love/ hate relationship with those things. When I tried to ditch the shields, DD would never get a good latch. It seemed like she only had the actual nipple in her mouth. I too fell victim to the free formula. I caved and supplemented around 4 months. Then mostly pumped due to the pain. I will probably refuse any free formula this time around just in case I have a weak moment. I am going to give it all I have this time around. I won't give up so easily!! (Fingers crossed)
Check with your pediatrician. Many pediatrician offices are now employing LCs. I was surprised to find out that mine has one on staff full-time. She was the one that I went to after the one at the hospital turned out to be a bit of a flake, lol.

This is just an aside, but I don't view my using formula as a weakness or a defect. It was a tool that I needed and used for a limited time that helped me achieve my goal. I always tells people that the most important thing is to feed the baby. If you're feeding the baby then you are doing great. I see a lot of breastfeeding mommies put a lot of stress on themselves and when something doesn't work out they get buried under heaps of guilt and self-loathing. Don't, instead be thankful that you don't have to find a wetnurse or bring home a goat

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!