View Single Post
January 4th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We did a fun little combination of jar food, homemade, baby led, and "whatever" lol

We mostly bought the jar food for items that we didn't want to spend time making or that we had rough luck at getting right (Mangoes are always under ripe or rotten, lol.).

We did homemade for a lot of fruits like bananas, strawberries, etc. We also opted to eventually use the blender to make our own oatmeal infant cereal (make sure to always check for big bits). I'm not a fan of rice cereal but oatmeal is so good for you! As the baby got older I made my own fruit/cereal bars, muffins, etc. to feed him. Making mashed peas, carrots, sweet potatoes is really easy if you have a nice steamer/blender.

I would frequently let Alex sample soft things from my plate. As he got older and could eat more complicated things I always shared things from my plate. With a few exceptions he is now expected to eat the exact same dinner as us at 19 months. I do not make a separate meal for him. If he has chicken nuggets it is because I'm having chicken nuggets, lol.

Basically, if something was easy I did it. If it got too complicated we no longer did it.

edit: I would also highly recommend avocado, banana, sweet potatoes, applesauce and other similar things as first foods instead of cereal. The idea that you have to introduce veggies or cereal first is a myth. I always found it easier to introduce a veggie after a fruit much more easy. Especially because you could blend them together. The same with cereal. And who wants to eat plain oatmeal anyway? So much better with some yummy banana or applesauce. And green beans with pears is also a delightful combo.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Last edited by MerinSun; January 4th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.