View Single Post
January 6th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Hiya!
For one: I think Kelli made a wonderful point. It is entirely different to plan a natural birth and to be forced into one. The mental space about it is entirely different. I have heard many women say that the worst part of labor was "waiting for the epi" because they were counting on that pain relief and could barely cope while they were waiting, sorta like a mental weakening of resolve. I don't mean epis are weak, but the knowledge that they are coming with relief makes the contractions harder to handle, kWIM?

For two: Pitocin contractions are NOTHING like natural contractions. I had a beautiful, easy NCB with my first, and an evil pitocin induced birth with my second. I can tell you from experience, they felt nothing alike. I WAS prepared for a NCB...and was left screaming for minutes at a time on pitocin. I will be trying everything in my power to have no pitocin this time. If I need it for whatever reason (I am also high risk for a blood clotting disorder), I will have them hook me to an epi before that pitocin ever hits my uterus. I am not kidding. I have no desire to do that again.

And three: It sounds likes both of your births were somewhat traumatizing and that would make anyone hesitant to want to do it again. But try to remember that each baby is different and the next one could be easy as pie. I know my two this far were night and day for nearly everything, so it's certainly possible that this labor/delivery will go an entirely different way. I don't blame you for being scared. I am even scared and had a significantly less traumatizing experience (mine was mostly the pitocin). Hang around for lots of positive thoughts. The ladies here are very uplifting and even if you want the epi, it can help to remind yourself that your body is capable and you can handle it, as you did before. And hopefully you won't be handling anything as difficult.