View Single Post
January 14th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My understanding is that the epidural drugs are stuck inside your nervous system and cannot transfer to baby at all because they are not in your blood, that is part of the point of why they developed it. So I don't know why you would have a sleepier baby because of getting an epidural, maybe there was another cause? My DD was mad as heck and yelling, thrashing, coughing, fighting with all her might when she came out, her apgars were 9 and 10 at 1 and 5 minutes.

I had an epidural when I was stuck at 9 cm for a couple of hours with horrible pitocin contractions. I could tell that I was not able to relax and open up anymore so I asked for the epi. It was a little creepy and weird to get it but I *really* didn't care anymore at that point lol. It caused total numbness for me and I could not feel any of my pushing or baby coming out, luckily I had experienced pushy contractions earlier in my labor so I knew which muscles to use, but it felt very weird to be pushing and not feeling the muscles, like it was all mental. It worked anyway. I didn't have headaches or any permanent effects. It took 12 hours for all the feeling to return in one of my legs so I couldn't walk around or shower all day. I really wished I could shower!!! But overall, it was an appropriate intervention for me at the time and I don't regret it.

This time I am doing hypnobabies and getting a doula and will be in a very NCB friendly hospital. I am confident that as long as there are no medical issues, I will have a natural birth this time I don't think the epi is dangerous, but there are some risks so you just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks for you personally