View Single Post
January 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I made these last night and DH about sh*t his pants I had to make the recipe I found my own, so here is what I used and did!

I also didn't realize this but they're completely vegan. I forgot that that's the difference between all-purpose and whole wheat flour

Whole Wheat Chinese Dumplings

Dumplings
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup cold water

Filling
3 scallions, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
3/4 cup frozen peas
Oil for cooking
1 tbsp soy sauce

To make the dough
In a large bowl, combine the flour and water 1/2 cup at a time and knead into a small ball. You may need more or less water judging by the consistency of the dough. It should not be too sticky or hard. Cover with a damp paper towel and set aside for 30 minutes.

To make the filling
Place all vegetables in a food processor until finely processed. Heat a small amount of oil in a saucepan to medium and add vegetables. Add soy sauce and cook until warm and fragrant. Place in refrigerator until cool (I placed mine in the freezer to expedite the process )

To make the dumplings
On a floured surface, roll the dough ball into a tube (think pre-made cookie dough) and cut 1/2 inch pieces. Roll the pieces into a small ball (about the size of a walnut). With a rolling pin, roll the pieces into 3-inch circles (they should be thin but easy to work with). Using cooled filling, place a heaping tablespoon of the filling onto each dumpling. To seal the dumplings, pick up the top and bottom of the dumpling and press the edges together to create a seam. Be careful not to let the filling seep onto the edges or the dumpling will not seal.

To cook
Heat a well-oiled pan to medium-high heat. Place the dumplings in the pan and cover. Take 1/2 cup water in one hand and lift the lid with the other. Quickly pour the water in the pan and re-cover. This will make the dumplings chewy and delicious Cook for 7 minutes until brown and turn over. (I turn them over a couple times because it is pretty hard to judge when they are done...plus they're more delicious when both sides are browned IMO )

Serve with soy sauce for dipping.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014