View Single Post
January 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's leaving them to cry until they stop, intentionally, for the purpose of "training them" not to cry. Kind of like how when you want to learn not to read, you read everyday. Wait, that's not right. Okay, maybe it's like how if you want to train yourself not to junk food, to just keep eating it until you get sick of it and decide to stop eating it so someone will bring you a salad. No, that can't be right either

All sarcasm aside, some people think CIO means you can "soothe" the baby every few minutes/check on the baby, but don't give them anything until the crying completely stops and they fall asleep and then wake up again.

Other people, like my neighbor, believe CIO means leaving the baby to cry until it stops, and completely ignoring their cries the entire time. Unfortunately, one of her children ended up overheating and dying while "CIO" she thought the baby had just finally fallen asleep and didn't find out until the next morning that the baby had died. She didn't have more kids after that, but she said she thought it was good I didn't CIO and that had been her reason why.