View Single Post
January 18th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll start with this link to logical fallacies that some of you ladies may enjoy
Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

Okay, onto the discussion. Ever encounter someone who wants to be so politically correct that they say things that are just plain . . . well, not true?

Here's an example. Though I love my husband dearly, he really believes that smoking is JUST as healthy as not smoking. I'm not saying he can't smoke. I don't judge him for smoking. But he equates two things (not smoking and smoking) as being equal.

Here's where the debate comes in. Maybe some people think that scientific evidence is not evidence enough, and so maybe it's just my opinion that smoking isn't as healthy not smoking.

I just used smoking as an example with my husband (smoking as we speak!) but there are other things. For example, when my sister in law was pregnant, she was coming off off drugs. She was on methadone. She told me that it was just as safe as being on nothing. (I'm very proud of her for coming off drugs and was devastated when she lost her baby at 8 months pregnant). She was also smoking, drinking caffeine non-stop, staying up all night most nights, ate nothing but junk food. This doesn't mean I judged her, but I did encourage her to make healthier choices. Each time, she insisted that those things were just as healthy as not doing those things. Was this logical fallacy, or just a matter of opinion?

For me, I do believe that people deserve equal right to make their choices (in fact, I think a lot more things should be legal and left up to a person than currently is), but I don't think that makes their decisions equal.

I don't see a point in judging people for making a choices that are proven to not be as healthy, but I can't agree with claiming those choices are equally as healthy/beneficial/etc when there is so much mass information that indicates otherwise.

So where do you stand? At what point is it not just a matter of opinion anymore? Is there a point that claiming unequal things are equal might just come from ignorance (ie--the person really just doesn't know better?) Are there things that truly are NOT created equal? Are there choices in life that truly aren't equal to other choices? Is it still "politically correct" or "acceptable" to say when things aren't created equal? Or are all choices in life truly equally as beneficial?

If there is substantial information out there that supports one thing being better than the next, is it reasonable to say those things are created equal? At that point, is it a logical fallacy, or is it just being appropriately politically correct?

In other words, should some things just not even BE debatable?