Topic: Your kids?
View Single Post
January 19th, 2013, 10:58 PM
frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
You know, it was just my pet theory based off my kid and my friends' kids, but I read an article recently. It was talking about the women who escaped the twin towers on 9/11 who were pregnant. It said not only did the children born show all the classic signs of PTSD (including hormonal markers), but that in the concentrations they had the markers it indicated that THEIR children would also have PTSD before it worked its way out of their genes.

These babies are sooooo hooked into us.
There is an excellent book that I just finished reading about that very theory, called "Origins" by Annie Murphy Paul: Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives: Annie Murphy Paul: Amazon.com: Books There is a LOT of research that shows that a mother's diet, environment, experiences, and even emotions during pregnancy can have a tremendous and lifelong impact on her baby. The truth that scientists are now discovering is that the whole "nature v. nurture" debate was always misframed, because the reality is that genes and the environment interact with one another. A baby is conceived with a certain set of genes, but then those genes can be either 'turned on' or 'turned off' in response to environmental cues (including environmental cues passed down through the mother during her pregnancy). I highly recommend this book! It's a fascinating read.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)