View Single Post
January 20th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I encapsulated it myself. It was so incredibly easy. I was worried that I wouldn't have the energy to deal with it right after having a baby so my midwife offered to help DH do it. I ended up doing it myself because dd slept pretty much all the time those first few days. There are quite a few steps involved but none of it takes much time and you don't have to babysit it while it cooks. I spent probably less than an hour all together getting it dehydrated and ground up.

This is how I did mine:
1. rinsed it in cold water and strip the membrane off
2. cut off the cord and saved it to dehydrate as a keepsake
3. steamed the placenta in a veggie steamer basket with some lemon slices
4. sliced it into thin strips and laid it out with the cord on a cookie sheet
5. dehydrated it on the lowest heat setting in my oven. This took a few hours and I would occasionally take the cookie sheet out and snap off the pieces that had completely dried and put the mushy ones back in.
6. ground it up in a coffee grinder
7. put it into capsules.

It was sooo easy. Steaming it and dehydrating it are the only parts that are time sensitive. And once it's in the oven you can pretty much forget about it. The heat will be so low it won't burn or anything. After mine was fully dried I popped it in the freezer for a few days because I didn't feel like grinding it up and filling all those capsules. Then I ground it and realized what a chore it is to fill capsules without a pill filler so it sat in powder form for a few days too. Next time I will probably skip the capsules all together and just mix a teaspoon of the powder into juice. Filling the pills was by far the most time consuming part.