View Single Post
February 1st, 2013, 04:21 PM
Halachicly, you are supposed to wait to 5 months.... which seems like forever. I told my immediate family at 12/ 13 weeks, they are not religious at all. Most families have the members who like to "chat" so I'm not making an official announcement until month 5 to everyone, and at that time I can share the news of my up and coming blessing with my congregation. The reason we wait so long is because the Jewish belief states that a child in utero is a potential life, and we do not celebrate until it's grand entrance.

It is uncustomary to wish a mom-to-be "Mazel-Tov" (congratulations). So waiting longer to announce your up and coming bundle is ideal. For a boy we celebrate 8 days later and he is named at his Brit Milah (customary, ritualistic circumcision) whereby a girl baby is named at the temple as soon as possible, she has a customary baby naming service, I believe these can happen on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays, but I am not certain.

Again, everyone chooses to tell at their own pace, but the above information is what I have learned from orthodox sources. So I guess it would depend on your level of religious background when to tell, and who to tell first...

I hope you find this information is helpful. B"H and may you have an easy pregnancy and labour.