View Single Post
February 5th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
First of all I am so sorry you are going through this - it can be such a difficult time.
I had a D&C at 12 weeks (on 1/11/13)
A few suggestions for the D&C:
- You can not wear any contacts during the surgery so if you have glasses I would wear them or bring them and bring some way to store your contacts for after.
- You can not wear any jewelry in the OR so I suggest leaving it all at home. DH did not like having to worry about having my wedding ring in his pocket he had other things on his mind.
- Wear comfy/easy to put on clothes and slip on shoes. After the surgery I was very soar and stiff and had a little bit of a hard time getting dressed after.
- You can not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery (this includes water!) I was confused on the water part. . . so just wanted to warn you.
For after the surgery:
- Buy some pads for after the surgery. You will likely have some bleeding and will not feel much like pad shopping afterwards. The hospital should send you home with one or two.
- Drop off the prescriptions for the painkillers on the way home and wait for them if you can. You can not be alone for several hours after the surgery and I did NOT feel like going back out with DH to get the pills later.
- Rent some movies at a Redbox or something or get a good book to read. The days following can be a little tough. For me I was in quite a bit of pain and they want you to pretty much stay in bed and relax for a bit so being set up with some distractions is nice.
-Pick up something you like to drink for after. I ended up having a full tracheotomy so my throat was very very very soar after. I drank some hot tea and honey and that helped quite a bit.
Some things to remember
It is okay to cry or to be nervous. It is a sad time and everyone around you will understand don't worry about how you are making them feel it is all about you.
Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if I have left anything out. Best of luck to you on Thursday - and again i am so sorry!
Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!
Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!
View Public Profile
Find all posts by momology