View Single Post
February 13th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
There is no evidence that ultrasounds can cause autism. That is bunk.

There are effects of ultrasound and doppler, however. It is almost certainly uncomfortable for most babies. I have read that a normal u/s, for the baby sounds like a subway train arriving. Very loud and disturbing to them since they aren't used to it. And in the embryonic stage (first trimester), baby mice exposed to extremely high level ultrasound waves for long periods of time have had organ damage.

There is virtually no harm in diagnostic u/s or doppler as performed in a medical setting. The benefits of diagnosis, etc FAR outweigh any teeny risk. However, I do feel that because of the discomfort to the baby, and the mouse research, it is prudent to limit these technologies to medical, diagnostic purposes. I personally do not believe in home use dopplers. I also do not believe in doing "fun"/for-profit ultrasounds, since they may or may not have properly trained personnel and properly calibrated equipment, and I just don't think it's worth the risk. In your particular case, I would not do the 3D. You will see your baby's face FOR REAL soon enough That is my advice anyway, take it or leave it. I know the mall ultrasounds are popular and many people do them, I just personally have decided it is not for me.