View Single Post
February 15th, 2013, 01:05 PM
DOh!
Will you be discussing this with your child(ren)? (age appropriate discussions of course)
I guess I should ask, do you discuss this sort of thing at all with your child(ren)?
It is part of your regular curriculum or do you set aside different lesson(s) for it?

This stuff fascinates us, so we're constantly discussing it and studying it. I was talking with some other HS parents this morning about it and it seems general consensus is this isn't a topic most even discuss much less delve into. But most couldn't, or rather wouldn't, explain to me why they don't. They almost seemed insulted I asked. I'll never understand why people get so offended at genuine curiosity, lol. One mom did say she didn't think her young child would understand. But even that, I don't quite get, because most subjects can be discussed at many levels. It just depends on how you offer the information and discuss/study it. Obviously it would need to be at their learning level. A toddler wouldn't(usually) understand a more complex explanation.

If you don't discuss this type of topic, or won't, is there any particular reason why?

I included some links, but there really are a ton, so, it would be easy to find more.

I'm sure many people are familiar with the 1908 Tunguska event in Russia but if not look here The Tunguska Impact--100 Years Later - NASA Science

Last night, another meteorite exploded over the city of Chelyabinsk east of the Urals, some 1500 km east of Moscow. this time thankfully a relatively minor event but nevertheless, hundreds of people are said to have been injured by glass shattered by the sonic boom (some reports suggest falling debris has caused injuries as well).There are many eye witness accounts and videos and these are spectacular.

Here are a few links, Google will show a lot more. The video in the first link taken from a car is amazing and turn your sound up for the second video on this page to hear the sonic boom at 27 seconds into the vid.

BREAKING: Huge Meteor Explodes Over Russia.

Huge Meteor Explodes Over Russia : Discovery News

So...thoughts?