View Single Post
February 17th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan4fate View Post
Wait.. hold up. Your doctor told you that Hetero MTHFR A1298C is no big deal?

I think this is what Augie and Meagan have... I'll point them both this way.

From all my research Hetero MTHFR A1298C means you need extra Folic Acid, B6 and maybe B12 and most use baby aspirin because it is the milder of the clotting factor issues and doesn't usually need the big guns like Heparin or Lovonox (which are injections).
I have it too, and you are correct. Also, some doctors will tell you take a motherload of Folic Acid, but your body can only absorb so much before the rest is excreted. But when it is absorbed, it strips your body of cofactors necessary to metabolize it, so while folate is in itself harmless if taken in large quantities, you should take extra cofactors also (selenium). I took 1600 mg folic acid total (when combined with a multi B-vitamin) and a couple of selenium tablets, in addition to baby aspirin. So, yes, no big deal to have hetero MTHFR. I also took Lovenox, but that proved to be too much and caused a lot of bleeding during the 1st trimester. You don't need that scare on top of everything else!

While in of itself heterowhatever MTHFR is not really important, it can be a sign of other immune issues also. Immunity and reproductive science are not typically studied together. There are maybe some 10 reproductive immunologists in the US today. They can tell you more about the relevance of hetero MTHFR mutations, and also do testing for other factors. For example, when I was tested by a RI, they found I had two types of antibodies that affect fertility, but my REs (I had 3) had never heard of them. In general, if you have such a mutation, it may mean that you have other inappropriate immune reactions/antibodies/clotting factors etc. which work against pregnancy or an element of pgcy. An RI would then prescribe steroids, blood thinners, and/or IVIG, in addition to heavy duty folic acid supplements & baby aspirin. There is also another treatment called lymphocyte immune therapy. If you're having IVF, steroids are typically prescribed. I would consider using steroids such as dexamethasone or prednisone. Usually they aren't prescribed past the 1st trimester, but maybe considering your history your RE or OB might consider extending them, even though there are risks. If it were me, the risk would probably be worth it, but I'm not you of course. There are other tricks you could try to calm an overactive or inappropriately responding immune system, such as heavily regulating your blood sugar levels by going on a diabetic diet. It's a little boring, but it has an amazing effect on your health, and it definitely can't hurt you. Anyway thought I would mention these things! There is a web site about reproductive immunology issues that explains hetero MTHFR etc, I think it's repro-med.net

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. My heart is breaking for you.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

Last edited by LisaB; February 17th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.